knitxcore.: Field Trip: Thrifting.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Field Trip: Thrifting.

thrifting 1

Today, two friends and I went thrifting in a pretty sketchy part of town. We live just outside of Atlantic City, so you can imagine what a "bad neighborhood" looks like around here.


thrifting 3

The 2 stores we went to were attached to/inside of a run down shopping mall, whose anchor stores are the DMV and the Food Bank of New Jersey. It's one of those places where the sales tax is lowered, so people will shop there. Regardless of the creepy depressing area, 2 of us really scored!!!! I got arm loads of treasures (that I'll be sharing in another post), and I spent less than $30!

furniture

During our little trip, we met a really cool old guy in vintage Lily Pulitzer pants and the coolest pair of sunglasses I had ever seen. And a shopkeeper almost cried because I commented on the quality of a handmade macrame frog; she was so upset that no one had bought it before me!


thrifting 2

All-in-all, it was a good time. (If you ignore the crack house inspired fitting rooms and the meth addicted roofers). Check back to see what I got and to hear me ramble about all the handmade things I didn't buy.

<3
Robbie

Coming Up...

-The Never-Ending Braided Rug.
-A Work in Progress; The Bathroom.
-The First Roll of Film From My Diana Mini
-Acrylic Stash-busting + Vintage Craft: God's Eye

...and much more

10 comments:

Mel said...

Oooh, I love thrift stores in dodgy areas. Well, sometimes. There was a dodgy thrift store in the town next to mine that lasted about a year, and it was just too disgusting. I'm like 90% sure it was just a front for meth dealers.

Also, you've seen this, right? You had to have seen this. Gold glitter!

http://thecraftychica.blogspot.com/2011/07/mi-vida-loca-how-to-glitter-concrete.html

Mandi said...

I Miss thrifting!! I never have anyone to go with!!

Mandi said...

I miss thrifting! I never have anyone to go with! where did you go?

Jaqi Moon said...

ohmigawd! I want those chairs to reupholster so badd.....

Anonymous said...

I really need to go thrifting more.. you find great stuff. I never really feel inspired to go because they're not in good neighborhoods, and the times I've went.. I never really found anything good.
It's a hit or miss kind of thing, though.. so I have to try again!
Great finds!

Anastasia said...

ah yes, sounds like a fair good few san antonio thrift stores. dedication! :D:D

Meream said...

Your first paragraph made me think of scary CSI scenes. Haha The place looks fun, though. :)

Jessi said...

you really sell the place lol!

Those chairs look pretty awesome, and there is nothing worse then getting home and regretting not buying something!

Lilea said...

I love thrifting! You know I do. Can;t wait to see what treasures you've found.

Colby Kern said...

I kind of really love those chairs. Like a lot!