knitxcore.: eat: pumpkin soup!

Thursday, October 27, 2011

eat: pumpkin soup!

pumpkin soup

First of all, I understand that these pictures are grotesque. It's the main reason I never blog about food. This soup was so good that it inspired me to give food blogging a second (or third) chance.

We eat a ton of soup in this house. Right after bread, it's my favorite food. I'm always looking for new soup recipes.

I found this recipe (which I had to modify based on the ingredients I had on hand) on the Celiac Chick's blog and couldn't wait to try try. I was so excited that I switched Coconut Milk for Cream of Coconut AND IT WAS INCREDIBLE.


pumpkin soup



Creamy Coconut + Pumpkin Soup

2 Tbsp. olive oil

1 medium to large onion chopped

2 Tbsp. chopped garlic

2 cups chicken broth

2 cups 100% pure pumpkin ( I used Libby’s 100% pure pumpkin in the can, not to be confused with the sweetened spiced pumpkin pie filling in a can.)

1/2 a can of Cream of Coconut (the stuff you use to make Pina Coladas)

1 tsp. of salt or more or less to taste

1 tsp of allspice

1 tsp of ginger

1/2 tsp of turmeric

In a large pot saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat, until onions are soft. Be sure they do not brown. Once soft, add the pumpkin, coconut milk and chicken broth. Add the remaining seasonings now. Simmer and stir until well blended, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add salt to taste and serve.

We really loved it! I'm sort of glad we had the wrong kind of coconut in the pantry!

What is your favorite soup recipe?

<3

Robbie.

Coming up...

-the finished Bird Mask.
..
-MORE Vintage Halloween Inspiration
-A Haircut
-and maybe a finished sock?

...Stay Tuned!!!

8 comments:

*karen said...

I just got my wisdom teeth pulled. I am so going to make this. You wait and see. :o)

--karen (formerly memyselfandkai.com)

RodPrjónar said...

Difficult question... I love soups as well. I think I can't decide for only one, so I go for two: beetroot soup with greek yogurt and gazpacho.

(I don't see anything grotesque about posting pictures of food :þ )

Rae - Say It Aint So said...

i feel you, sometimes it is so hard to take picture of food. i did a post about this awesome lentil stew once and it looked like throw up in the pictures.

i have all the ingredients for this, i'm thinking about making it for my dinner tonight...

eliza said...

photographing food is hard! i don't know how to make it look appetizing! my favorite soup to make (if it counts) is chili. i liked the lentil soup i made a bit ago, but it needs a few tweaks before it becomes a favorite...

Jessi said...

I have never had pumpkin soup! I need to try

Stela said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe! We'll have to try it.
We're making a butternut squash soup tonight. It's perfect soup weather!

Lilea said...

Photos are great... and appetizing! I love anything pumpkin, so will be trying this soon.

p.mcg said...

that looks amazing :s though i'd have to substitute the chicken broth with vegetable - great recipe