knitxcore.: gettin' crafty: pom-pom flowers!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

gettin' crafty: pom-pom flowers!

DSC_0706

I guess it's only fair to share what sort of crafty exploits we were up to last night! Inspired by the super cool pompom flowers at Ivey Handcrafted, we decided it would be fun to make smaller ones on bendable pipe cleaners stems.

Honestly, ever since I bought these little pompom makers on Amazon, I've been looking for excuses to use them. I know. I know. It was reckless to spend money on a little piece of plastic. I can make pompom just fine with a piece of cardboard. It's a very "noob" looking device used to do a simple task.

Here's the thing: My homemade pompoms consistently look like crap. I end up trimming them down until there's almost nothing left. I'm wasting entire skeins of yarn to get one good pompom.

This isn't just another tool. It's a necessity. It produces a perfect pompom EVERY SINGLE TIME. There's no way I can ruin them.


DSC_0710

After maikng a handful of perfect poms, I twisted some pipe cleaners up and jammed them into the center of each one. I didn't even glue them.

Reckless.


DSC_0715

They fit perfectly into this little gnome vase a friend gave me for Christmas! Love it!

What's your favorite craft tool right now?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah! They're beautiful! I love them. And the stein you've arranged them in. Perfection!

I've been coveting a Clover pom pom maker for ages, but always rationalized it away because of the price and I can make perfectly respectable ones with the plastic rings I have. But, I think perhaps you've enabled me... ^_~

Erin Joy said...

So cute! And you don't have three and five year olds deconstructing them so who needs glue? My fav is my robot tape measure - you push his wee nose and the tape snaps back into his head.

The Fancy Lady said...

those are so cute, now i wanna go out and buy one but I'm still trying to figure out how to use my crochet flower maker lol
i have been obsessed with rubber stamps lately and adding to my collection i love to write letters and pen pal and it so fun to decorate the envelopes

Grateful4Crochet said...

You reckless thing!!!
I have also wanted one of those, but again the justification. You would have enabled me too by this post, but I fear I am far too lazy to follow through with this need right now, and will just continue wanting one!!
Loving the gnome vase

Anonymous said...

Aw, those are so cute! :)

Jessi said...

I have never been able to make them well without a pom pom maker lol

LittleCanoe said...

Yes, I love it! I've always wanted a pom pom maker, mine too, usually look like crap and end up falling apart at some point. Next time I make a hat, I'll have to indulge. My favorite craft "tool" are glue dots. Have you tried them? They're little sticky spots that really work! I love them even though they aren't that practical. Haha.

Sian said...

i have been wanting a pom pom maker. i may get one for work for the 'kids' to use (i.e. me)

Kira said...

I think I might get a pom pom maker because I have the same problem with mine. They never turn out quite right no matter how much I try to fluff them or trim them.

Rae - Say It Aint So said...

cute! i've been meaning to make some of those. i have FOUR pom pom makers. because you need different sizes! I used a carboard one to make some once, and yeah, it took a lot of trial and error to get just what i wanted. and it is faster on the plastic ones. so i whole heartedly approve of yours. haha.

Erin Kate said...

Oh! They are so cute!

Stela said...

Love the colors you chose!

Lilea said...

I'm with you... it is a necessity! Cardboard pom poms = crap.

I recently bought a cheap maker (plastic semi-circles rather than homemade cardboard strips) from the local craft store and the pom poms come out only a hairline better.

I didn't even know there was an awesome contraption like the one you bought!

Lisa said...

They look great! And I love your vase ^_^ I've really been loving my spool knitter lately - it's such nostolgic fun.

p.mcg said...

I love it!! I want pom pom flowers! also, once again, the color choice is great :)