knitxcore.: Maryland Sheep and Wool: Appalachian Flat-Footing.

Sunday, May 06, 2012

Maryland Sheep and Wool: Appalachian Flat-Footing.

MDSW1 My creation
Can you believe I got up at 5am today? I still can't. 

But, I'm so glad I did!  Julia (of Crafty Nuggets) and her hubby invited me to take the 4 hour drive to Maryland, so we could soak up some wooly goodness and get a heaping helping of fiber culture. I can't thank them enough for letting tag along! They're definitely two of the best people, ever; like up there with Cat Stevens and Tom Waits. Seriously.

There were tons of things to do/see/buy eat, but I'm breaking this down into tiny digestible tidbits throughout the week, and at the end you get to see my haul. 

This post is dedicated solely to topic of Appalachian flat-footing. 

I am effing obsessed. I always have been. Being an expatriated good ol' boy, I have a soft spot for all aspects of Southern culture. I eat grits with hot sauce, listen to the Carter Family and have had an unhealthy crush on Randy Travis for ages That being said, I can't express how much flat-footing/buckdancing/clogging tugs at my heart strings.

If you haven't seen D. Ray White's Documentary "Talking Feet", you should probably get to it. Incredible! So much energy and creativity!

I'm going to leave you with a few of my favorite flat-footing videos from around the 'net. You'll be hooked. Just be sure to practice outside. I always knock things off the wall.







Incredible, right?!



12 comments:

Erin Joy said...

I have family in Sterns, Kentucky, and you bet they can rock a board or two! I can totally see you in a pair of those white shoes, Robbie.

Rich said...

Sounds like Sheepapalooza was a great success. But did you see our friend Rita?

uncustomary said...

That's so cool that you went! I was going to go since it's so close to me, but then I got the chance to be in a flash mob. My friend went and she took some fabulous pictures of fibers!

Sian said...

wow!this is a thing?? people do this? a-may-zing. i particularly like the last guy...

Eartha Kitsch said...

Let me say as a Southerner that we'd be glad to have you. In fact, I'm going to knight you as an official Southerner! There...done! I'm with you on the buckdancing and clogging. I've always wanted to do both.

LittleCanoe said...

Amazing!!! Can't wait to see what you got!

The Feisty Redhead said...

YES. I'm from Kentucky, and I love bringing some South to New York. There's a place in Brooklyn that has clogging lessons, and I'm dying to take them.

Colby Kern said...

I have no idea what any of this means, but the video gave me some idea...seems interesting :]

Grateful4Crochet said...

All I can say is...Wow. Just Wow.
Looks like an amazing day

Kira said...

Haha, a crush on Randy Travis? You sound like my mom, lol.

little said...

haha that's awesome. i've never seen dancing like that. my eyes are now open to a whole new world.

http://challengedromantic.blogspot.com/

p.mcg said...

Please watch "The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia" - it will not disappoint, promise.