knitxcore.: Knitted hems.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Knitted hems.

my first knitted hem

Every sweater should have a knitted hem, IMHO. It's so much easier than it looks. I picked up the back loops of the cast on edge to make a neat turn, decreased by 10% (so it wouldn't flare out) and knit about 1 and a 1/4 inches in straight stockinette. When it was long enough, I basted just below the circular and pulled the needle out (SCARY!). Then, I just picked up the live stitches and sewed them right to the sweater fabric, skipping every 10th stitch so it would stay straight.
After knitting a ton of stockinette it was really fun to try a new technique. I'm so glad I bought those Elizabeth Zimmermann books! I'd be lost without her advice.

<3

knitxcore.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh. Do I detect an orange and green theme at Chez Knitxcore? I'm also perpetually impressed by EZ and love her writing style.

roxtarc said...

i just bought TWO ez books... i feel like such a "knitter" now.

pins&needles said...

I need a EZ book now that you said that great advice. Thanks!

Jana said...

I will have to try this someday. It looks so much classier than the normal ribbing I'm used to.

pamela wynne said...

EZ is fab, and so are you -- I LOVE the colors you chose!

sunneshine said...

I do love EZ and I remember doing that first sewn in bind off, totally freaky!! I love the colors that you choose - the carrot is perfect!

Crafty Andy said...

Next time do a step by step pictures it is very helpful. I love the colors and the way that you puit it together. I like EZ and her idea about the crafts. Thanks for sharing

sko_G knits said...

omg. you are making me buy MORE books!! hahahah. can't wait to see more photos of that malabrigo loveliness!!

WonderMike said...

I worship at the altar of EZ, as well. Your sweater kicks ass.

Marlena said...

I love the secret pleasure of a contrasting hem. I especially love the bright contrast in the colors you've chosen!

Shadkitty said...

EZ rocks my world! Another good book is Vogue Knitting: Quick Reference. Lots of great illustrations and photographs.

Anonymous said...

I loved that green before, but now that the hem is added - those colors are rockin' together!

Kyle William said...

smart idea and beautiful execution - I was (secretly) surfing knitting blogs at work and my coworker caught the image of the sweater and its colors - he stopped me and made all kinds of comments about how beautiful those colors are...

great job!

Obsessed with knitting said...

be still my math heart - I love the color contrast!!

Davin said...

oh Wow, that really does give it a much more finished look!