knitxcore.: Get Healthy!: Revisiting Vegetarianism.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Get Healthy!: Revisiting Vegetarianism.

DSC_0052-002

DSC_0055-001

DSC_0056-001

When I first met Dave, almost ten years ago, I had been a strict vegetarian for around 4 years. I had embraced tofu and supplements, and had learned quite a lot about nutrition. Somewhere along the way, I had become really overwhelmed with food prep and balancing meals. For one person it isn't hard, but for two it starts to become a chore.

And so I ate a Wendy's chicken nugget.

It wasn't good, but it wasn't "hard" either. I left behind 4 years of virtuous eating and super fun trips to Whole Foods to eat garbage. I knew better than to shovel fried "whatever" and processed "huh?" into my mouth constantly, but I had given up.

More recently, Dave has become inquisitive about my vegetarian past, and has begun to try some new things (sushi!) and I couldn't be happier. His interest in cleaner eating has rekindled my own.

The problem is that we're both incredibly busy; we go to school, work and have several obligations outside of that. This time around, I need vegetarianism to work within our current lifestyle, instead of the opposite. I've been looking for simple meals that I can accomplish in a short period of time, without having to rely on Boca Burgers and hummus.

When I saw Veggie Mama's "Cheesy Cauliflower and Broccoli Bake", I knew we had a winner! It was something that I could toss together quickly after school and have it ready by the time Dave finished class. Just as good (if not better) than Mac' and Cheese, without all of the late night carbs (we don't eat dinner until around 9pm).

Do you have any quick and easy vegetarian recipes we should try? Leave a link (or a recipe) in the comments!



3 comments:

Rae - Say It Aint So said...

ooo i am all over this:
http://foodcomablog.com/2012/03/pesto-and-baked-egg-pizza
you can make all kinds of easy naan pizzas like this
http://ohdeardrea.blogspot.com/2012/01/diet-water-recipe-bean-stew-with.html
i make this white bean stew almost once a week. it is really good for leftovers too
http://jenloveskev.com/2011/09/20/last-nights-dinner-09-20-11/
best soup i have ever had. for real. another good one for left overs. i make lots of soup. it can take a little time to make, but then we can eat it for a few days.
http://jenloveskev.com/2011/06/07/last-nights-dinners/
vegetarian nacho casserole. not super healthy, but a fun junk food treat.

Lisa said...

Yum, that looks good! My favourite vegetarian meal to make is risotto because, while it's stirring intensive, it doesn't actually take that long to make and it tastes just as good heated up for lunches ^_^ You can also make it in a rice cooker or via baking if you're willing to sacrifice creaminess for speed ~_^

Andi said...

I cook vegetarian meals a lot because I'm pretty terrible at cooking with meat. It's getting out of season, but this is one of my favorite vegetarian soups. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/two-bean-soup-with-kale-10000001924699/

I'm also a big fan of quiche and scrambles, but I don't use real recipes for those.