knitxcore.: Vinyl Monday: The Monkees.

Monday, July 09, 2012

Vinyl Monday: The Monkees.

monkees

We've already discussed my gigantic crush on Mike Nesmith, but I wanted to make sure that ALL of the Monkees got a fair shake on my blog.

The are such a source of positive energy! You can't listen to them without smiling. This morning, I felt moody and little groggy before going into work. I wasn't really sure how to psych myself into happy mode until I dug out this record (the sleeve above isn't mine; mine is in VERY bad shape). Almost instantly, everything turned around.

Have you ever read about Maslow's theory regarding peak experiences? Basically, a peak experience is one of those moments where you are immediately flooded with intense feelings of happiness and inter-connectedness; a moment of transcendence. While it is considered to be insanely difficult to facilitate these experiences outside of using hallugenics, some things may trigger smaller (but still powerful) states of euphoria.

Listening to the Monkees this morning, gave me just enough personal illumination to make it through the rest of the day with a smile on my face.

Thanks boys!



6 comments:

Erin Joy said...

Like the feeling I get when I'm driving down the hwy, my windows open, with "I Get A Kick Out Of You" playing loud on the radio and immediately have this out-of-body sensation of watching myself driving down the road singing at the top of my lungs? Pure happiness.

Lisa said...

The Monkees rock! Good choice of video clip ^_^

Also, I really enjoyed the article on peak experiences - it was really interesting!

Lilea said...

Best Vinyl Monday yet! Wish I still had my Monkees trading cards.I had hundreds of those bubble gum smelling cards. Who knew you were supposed to keep stuff like that?

Leah said...

Yup, they definitely send out happy vibes! I watched the reruns growing up, and Mike was my favorite too! Felt kinda weird when I found out that he also was my mom's favorite though. lol

Rae - Say It Aint So said...

i love that record cover. and the monkees.

p.mcg said...

great choice for a vinyl monday!!!