knitxcore.: Time-Machine Tuesday: Aunt Lydia's Rug Yarn.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Time-Machine Tuesday: Aunt Lydia's Rug Yarn.

DSC_0258
aunt lydia
hey boys

Oh my god! Can you get over that picture? This pamphlet is probably one of the single most inspiring things in my vintage pattern collection. The colors! The patterns! The boys! All perfect. Seriously. I love it.

I can't believe that once uopn a time, these pattern booklets only cost 35 cents! I paid quite a bit more than that. Ten times more to be exact. Still worth every cent.

I always search eBay and Etsy for STAR books. They're full of the best kitschy vintage patterns and the styling is TO DIE FOR. I just can't can't get enough.

I want to knit every single one of these things, just maybe in something a little more comfortable than rug yarn. Yikes! Can we talk about how itchy that mock neck poncho ordeal would be?

Do you have any favorite vintage patterns or books? Tell me about them!

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Golly! I'm loving that chevron poncho ~_^

Sian said...

oh wow. that last picture is AMAZING! you should make those outfits and then recreate the picture....

Unknown said...

Wow! I wish I'd had my shades on whilst reading this!

Rae - Say It Aint So said...

oh my goodness! that guy on the left, with the barely thigh grazing striped outfit! what a hot look!
and i spy poodle bottle covers on the front! i need to learn to knit so I can make one of those!

Moe said...

Go on ahead & crochet up that chevron poncho. You'll be the talk of the town.

I love when you share these pattern books. I love them but would have no place to collect them! They are hilarious & awesome!

eliza said...

O-M-Amazing. can we just talk about the gentleman on the left in the striped tunic for a moment? is he wearing super short shorts that are hidden in the tunic? or nothing? or super-tight orange leggings? i'm burning with curiousity...

also, i'm seconding sian lile's suggestion up there. a recreation of this photo would probably bring about world peace. i'm just saying.

Grateful4Crochet said...

Best.Poncho.Ever.

Paul said...

I have this book, and I think I bought it new in the mid '70s. You could probably do these patterns with a nice bulky weight yarn. THe pictures are a trip, though.

gwenstella said...

what a great find! i don't have any favourite vintage patterns or books. i just buy them when i see them in thrift shops because i just love admiring the pictures. :)

Sir Thrift-A-Lot said...

OMG - HEY BOYS - I love that picture!